SoundYoga's Certified 250 Hour Yoga Teacher Training
SoundYoga 250 hour Teacher Training is scheduled to begin October 12, 2103. Below is the schedule:
Weekends Saturday and Sunday 9:30am-5:30pm (Held at Fitness Revolution in West Seattle)
- October 12 & 13, 2013
- November 9 & 10, 2013
- December 14 & 15, 2013
- January 11 & 12, 2014
- February 8 & 9, 2014
- March 8 & 9, 2014
- April 12 & 13, 2014
- May 10 & 11, 2014
- June 14 & 15, 2014
- June 27, 28, & 29, 2014 (Special weekend with Sonia Nelson)
- July 12 & 13, 2014
Why take Soundyoga's Teacher Training?
SoundYoga's Teacher Training program is both challenging and richly rewarding. You will experience the joy of learning in an environment that has been designed to help you achieve a sense of fulfillment and prepare you to teach beginning yoga to groups and to individuals.
- This training fulfills all the requirements for a SoundYoga Teacher Certification.
- Only ten applicants are accepted ensuring that you will benefit from our holistic methods and a rich, personal learning environment.
- You will have the personal attention of a mentor throughout the training.
- You will experience the rewards of practicing the teaching techniques you learn.
- We treat the mind, body and spirit as a whole, and each person as an individual.
- We adapt the yoga to each of our students.
This program offers the highest standards of Yoga teacher training. Upon completion of course requirements, participants will receive a SoundYoga Teacher Training Diploma and will have all the necessary tools and confidence to teach group or private Yoga classes.
HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY OF YOGA (35 hours)
- Yoga's evolution in India
- History and discussion of the Yoga Sutras
- Definitions of Yoga
ANATOMY, PHYSIOLOGY AND AYURVEDA (30 hours)
- Subtle Yoga Physiology and energy systems of prana, the nadis, chakras etc and their symbolism.
- Definition of Ayurveda.
- Overview of Muscular and Skeletal systems
- Links between Ayurveda and Yoga
- Ayurvedic Constitution
- Ayurvedic Nutrition and Lifestyle counseling
ASANA, COURSE PLANNING AND TEACHING METHODOLOGIES (90 hours)
- Definitions and qualities of 50 Asana postures
- Principles of Asana practice
- Techniques of most common Asanas
- Concept/Technique of breathing in Asana practice.
- Vinyasa Krama (linking poses)
- Static and Dynamic practices
- Adaptation and Modification
- How to structure an Asana practice.
- Preparation, main goal, completion
- Concept of counterpose and rest
PRANAYAMA (20 hours)
- Definitions and qualities of Pranayama
- Principles of Pranayama practice
- Primary Pranayama techniques
- Ratios in Pranayama practice
MEDITATION, MANTRA AND CHANTING (25)
- Definitions of Dharana, Dhyana, Samadhi
- Process of Meditation
- Kinds and Purposes of Meditation
- Practical examples of Meditation
- Meditation in general group settings
- Basics of Vedic Chant, learning to read transliteration
- Chanting Yoga Sutras and Vedic Chants
- Sound/Chant in Asana, Pranayama and Meditation
TEACHING PRIVATELY 1: (15 Hours)
- One on One, the Classical Model
- Code of ethics/ confidentiality/Yamas
- Principles of safe practice
- Establishing goals, inspiring confidence
- Initial contact /establishing rapport
- 180 hrs Classroom Presentation
- 11 Weekends (Saturday & Sunday)
- 15 hrs Private Mentoring
- 40 hrs Home Study
- 10 hrs Class Observation
- 10 hrs Supervised Teaching
The 250 hour training includes basic asana, beginning techniques of meditation. You will begin practicing teaching techniques starting with your very first weekend. Upon completion, students are eligible for Yoga Alliance 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Registration.
The total 250-hour course will take approximately 11 months to complete. Trainings are scheduled on Saturdays and Sundays 9:30am to 5:30pm, and are held in West Seattle.
- Dedication to personal growth and self-discovery through yoga.
- A willingness to learn and to explore yoga in the tradition of Krishnamacharya.
- Devotion to serious study and consistent practice of Yoga.
- Have the mental and emotional stability and physical health to fulfill the demands of the training.
- Ability to demonstrate good communication skills.
- Provide letters of recommendation from two individuals that you have known at least two years. The letters are to include the writer's opinion of your communication skills, strengths and weaknesses, mental stability and emotional maturity.
Students successfully completing the course requirements, participants will receive a SoundYoga Teacher Training Diploma and be eligible for registration with the Yoga Alliance at the 200 hour level. You will also be eligible for entrance into SoundYoga 500 hour Teacher Training and certification upon completion of the 500 hour training.
Fees and Charges
Application and registration fee (non refundable) » $100.00
Tuition Fee » $4000.00
TOTAL CHARGES 2011 » $4100.00
Several payment plans are available and we accept cash, check and all major credit cards through PayPal. Your application and registration fee of $100 is separate and nonrefundable. Any payment given ahead of the beginning of the training toward developing your own personal practice can be applied to the cost of the teacher training. If you choose to pay in full before the beginning of the training you will receive a $500.00 discount of the total owed. Other payment arrangements can be adjusted by contract with SoundYoga.
Required Text Books
SoundYoga can assist students in obtaining the following books:
- Heart of Yoga by TKV Desikachar
- Viniyoga of Yoga by TKV Desikachar
- An Illustrated Guide to Asana by Michael J. Smith
- Health, Healing and Beyond by TKV Desikachar
- Reflections on Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by TKV Desikachar
- Anatomy books to be determined
SoundYoga Teacher Training is a registered teacher training school with The Yoga Alliance at the 200 and the 500 hour level.
5639 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98136